6. What were a couple of tests that Ruth and Abe had in common? What test did Abe have that Ruth did not? How did Abe cope with the tests he was faced with?
7. Abe’s oldest son, Gideon, felt guilty for the loss of his younger brother. Was the accident really Gideon’s fault? Have you ever felt responsible for something that wasn’t your fault? How did you come to grips with it?
8. Why do you think Ruth’s father, Roman, wouldn’t notify the sheriff whenever they suffered an attack?
9. Why was Roman so unforgiving toward his sister? Do you think he was being unreasonable? Have you ever carried a grudge against someone who did something that hurt your entire family? Was the situation between you and that person resolved?
10. Why do you think Rosemary’s husband destroyed the letters she’d written to her family? If you’d been Rosemary, would you have kept writing anyway? Do you think she gave up because she felt that her family no longer loved her? Have you seen a real-life situation similar to the one Rosemary experienced?