1. Kate Winslow had trouble dealing with her mother. She never felt like she could please her. What kind of relationship do you have with your parents? How have you dealt with problems with your parents? How can you improve your relationship with your parents?
2. Rose was determined to save Lily even to the point of putting herself in danger. She felt guilty about Lily’s situation. What are some things you’ve done to make yourself feel better when you feel guilty?
3. Who is your favorite character? Why?
4. Wyatt Sheridan is having problems with his daughter. She wants more independence, but he isn’t ready to give it to her. If you had been in Wyatt’s situation, how would you have dealt with Maddie for disobeying you? How do you let a teenager become independent (part of growing up) but safe?
5. Kate tries to help girls that many people have written off. She tries to give these girls a second chance. If you were asked to help girls like Rose, what would you do?
6. When Rose was held captive, she kept remembering Kate’s advice. What she said gave her hope and courage. Do you have something or someone who gives that to you? Have you done that for another? If so, what have you said to them?
7. What is your favorite scene? Why?
8. Did you know who was King’s partner? If so, what gave the partner away?
9. Maddie defied her father and went to meet Tyler. Something told her not to call Tyler when the truck stopped in the middle of the parking lot. If she had, she would have been kidnapped. Have you ever felt something wasn’t right, but you couldn’t say why? What was the situation? How did it turn out?
10. Our children are our future. How can we protect our children from predators in our society? How do we teach them to be careful, to be wary of predators?
11. In this story the importance of forgiving is explored, especially with Wyatt and what happened to his wife. Why is it important to forgive others and ourselves? What happens when we live in the past rather than looking forward to the future? Which do you focus on—past, present or future? Why?
12. This is a book about hope in the time of tragedy. How are ways we can give hope to another in his time of need?
13. Cynthia cut herself. She didn’t have a constructive way to express her frustration and anger. What could she have done besides cutting herself to relieve her frustration and anger? How do you deal with your frustration? Anger?
14. Kate had a strong faith, but there were times during the story her faith wavered. What has caused your faith to waver? How do you get it back on track? What strengthens your faith?