1. At the beginning of By Darkness Hid, Achan encounters two bullies picking on a younger boy. What do you think of Achan’s actions? Do you think he did the right or wrong thing?
2. Have you ever been picked on by bullies or seen someone being picked on? How did you handle it?
3. Do you think it was right for Achan to disobey the law to train as a knight behind his owner’s back? Why or why not?
4. What do you think of Achan giving offerings to Cetheria? Does he seem to believe in the act, does he do it because everyone else does, or does he only remember to give an offering when things in his life aren’t going well? How do his actions compare to those of many believers today?
5. Vrell is hiding so that she doesn’t have to marry a man who is evil and doesn’t believe in God. Do you think this is wise? Why or why not?
6. What do you think about the lies that Vrell tells in order to keep her secret?
7. Is it wise for a girl to go alone on a journey with two men? Why or why not? What else could Vrell have done?
8. Gren loves Achan but she will not run away with him because she does not want to disobey her parents. What do you think about this? Here are two verses to add to your thoughts:
a. "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you." (Genesis 20:12)
b. "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh." (Genesis 2:24)
9. Achan and Vrell both feel alone and isolated. Have you ever felt that way?