The Confident Woman by Joyce Meyer
Study Group Questions for The Confident Woman
1. When you think of a confident woman, what qualities come to mind? How many of these do you see in yourself? What can you do to bring more of those qualities into your own life? What happens to our confidence when we put our confidence in God first?
2. How has the women’s rights movement helped us as women today? Do you think everything has been positive? Why or why not? How has this affected the role of women in church today? Has God used women in ministry and in what ways? How do we navigate the attitudes of “acceptable” female behavior with the calling God has on our lives as Christian women?
3. What are the seven “secrets” of a confident woman? Are these really secrets or are they obtainable for every woman who has the desire to be confident? Out of these seven, which ones do you feel you do pretty well? Which ones do you need to work on? Share with a friend or your study group one or two of these “secrets” you want to work on developing and ask them to help keep you accountable.
4. What is it we like about the Proverbs 31 woman? What is it we don’t like about her? Is it hard to be like this woman? Why or why not? Why do you think this woman is mentioned here in such detail? What do you think God wants us to take away from this chapter of Proverbs?
5. Is it necessary to feel confident in order to be confident? Why or why not? How does self-doubt affect us? What does it do to us? On a scale of one to ten, with one being the least and ten being the greatest, how much doubt is in your life? What are some ways you can remove that doubt to become more confident?
6. Name some ways we can prepare—physically, mentally, and spiritually—for whatever life throws at us? How often should we do these things? Are you willing to change some things in your life in order to take more time to prepare?
7. How often do you come across people who tell you “no”? How do you handle being told “no” when it comes to your dreams or the things you feel God is calling you to do? Do you cringe or step back? Or do you boldly move forward, confident that God is with you? On a scale of one to ten, with one being the least and ten being the greatest, how much of a people-pleaser are you? What can you do to be more firm in listening to God before other people?
8. As women, are we more at ease with being dependent or independent? What are some steps we can take toward achieving independence? What does it mean to have balanced independence? Is it possible to be dependent and independent at the same time? Why or why not?
9. What does the feeling of fear do to us? How does it keep us from living confident lives? Think about the fears that are controlling you today. What are they? What are they keeping you from doing? What are some ways you can work toward overcoming those fears? If you feel comfortable, share this with a friend or your study group and ask them to pray with you that God will give you the strength to overcome these fears.
10. Someone once said “Courage is not the lack of fear but the ability to face it." Is it possible to be courageous and fearful at the same time? Why or why not? What does it mean to do something afraid? What does this require from us?
11. How can we overcome fear? What happens when we take small steps toward conquering our fears and see small successes happen? Is our confidence boosted? Think about one of your greatest fears holding you back from doing what you want to do. What are some small steps you can take to overcome your fear successfully? Make a list and share it with someone else.
12. What does worry do when we allow it to fester? How can we overcome worry in our lives? Search your Bible for scripture that speaks to this issue and write these verses out on note cards. Keep these note cards with you and take them out whenever you start to worry.
13. How is stress caused? What do we do to bring stress on? Write down some of the stresses you have in your life right now. What does stress do to our spirits? How can we get rid of stress? When stress creeps in, what can you do to get rid of it? Determine now what you will do when you begin to feel stressed (pray, quote a favorite scripture…) and do it.
14. In what ways can you be bold and confident in your life right now? What is the difference between phony boldness and true boldness? What is God asking you to do to step out in faith and show true boldness with His help? Is it possible to be humble and bold at the same time?
15. What does it mean to be courageous? What are some ways you can show courage today? How can you reflect confidence in your walk and your talk? How will you be more confident in your life ahead?