1. When Ariel moved in, she was immediately impressed with Justine. Why
do you think she was?
2. At what point did you know all was not right with Justine?
3. How was Justine’s life-management notebook helpful or not helpful to
Ariel? Why do you think Justine loved it so much?
4. If you were in Justine’s place where someone you once deeply cared
for was suddenly back in your life, what would you do? Do you think the
affair could have been prevented?
5. Was Ariel wrong for going out on the patio with the guy at the salsa
club? Why do you think she did that?
6. What does this book teach us about women like Erica? Has it caused
you to rethink someone you assume you know all about?
7. How was Mark culpable in his marriage’s unraveling? Were he and
Justine in trouble before Tom ever came on the scene? What can we learn
8. Was Justine’s leaving inevitable? What was her alternative?
9. How did you feel about the ending? Would you have chosen for Justine
to make things work, or do you feel it was more realistic to let things
happen as they did? Have you ever known someone whose story ended
differently than you would have liked for it to?
10. Ultimately what did Ariel learn about Justine? Betsy? Erica? Herself?